Nowadays, the processes to get a Ladakh Inner Line Permit became very easy, now you can go online and fill up the form. We will be detailing the procedure in a bit before that let’s discuss routes or places that require an ILP (Inner Line Permit).
We have discussed stays, foods, and sightseeing in Ladakh Trip Complete Guide before, the only thing left in this context was the inner line permit for restricted areas. This Ladakh Inner Line permit is mandatory for anyone who is visiting restricted places in Ladakh region except a resident of J&K and child below 12 years.
Ladakh Inner Line Permit Restricted Areas:
- Nubra Region – Khardung La, Diskit, Nubra Valley and Turtuk are few famous points in this route but also you will be getting a permit for till Tyakshi on Turtuk side and Warsi – Yarma on Panamik side.
- Pangong Region – Karu, Chang La, Durbuk, Tangtse, Lukung, Spangmik, Chushul till Man Merak
- Tso Moriri Region – Upshi, Debring, Tso Kar, Tso Moriri
- Hanle Region – Upshi, Chumathang, Mahe, Loma, and Hanle. You need to mention Hanle while the permit is getting issued.
- Dha & Hanu – Khalsi, Skurbuchan, Hanu, Baima and Dha.
Ladakh Inner Line Permit Procedure:
1. J&K government officially announced its online portal quite a long ago, the website is http://www.lahdclehpermit.in/.
2. Once you open the portal, you will need to Click on Issue then select either Oversees Clients (Foreign Nationals) or Domestic Clients (India Nationals). There are three more options and the functionality mentioned below in the screenshot.
3. In this very page, you have to fill up exact details as per Voter Card or Aadhar Card or Driving License. In the case of foreign nationals, Passport no, Passport type, Visa no. and Visa type has to be mentioned. For a Domestic client, you have to choose Direct in Issue Permit section but foreigners have to mention a Tour Agency. Hit Submit once Done.
4. On successful registration, it will pop up like below.
5. You will have two options now, either choose the Issue Group to permit or Choose Issue Individual Permit. For the first option, you have list other members Name, ID and Gender, followed by Submit as per screenshot below.
6. Now you have to tick all the routes you are intended to visit, select to stay duration and finally, apply for the permit. Once applied it will give you options to take a printout, also note the reference number so that you can get that printed later.
7. While you are in Leh, visit DC office and submit one hard copy for each route. They will ask you to make payments, once done within an hour max you should get your permit in hand.
8. Lastly, you need to have 2-3 photocopies for each permit, so that you can submit it in checkpoints.
- Online Payment is not yet functional.
- Issuing of Permit can be suspended without prior notice in case of an emergency situation.
- Even you possess a valid permit you may not be allowed for reasons.
- Always confirm all the places you are intended to visit while the official person issuing the permit.
- All the above screenshot is from http://www.lahdclehpermit.in/
- Dates mentioned in the permit cannot be altered so plan your itinerary carefully, in case you have to do so you can apply for the permit with alternate IDs although this is not verified by me.
- As of 2018, an offline permit application was not acceptable.
- If you are planning for Hanle be careful, you have to get it manually stamped from DC office, Leh.
Ladakh Inner Line Permit Charges:
Red Cross: INR 100 each person.
Environmental fees: INR 300 each person.
Permit/Wildlife fees: INR 20 each person per day.
Leh DC Office Timings:
As per local office remains open from 10:00 AM to 05:00 PM, Monday to Saturday. They should accept permit application before lunch break. Generally, it took between 15 to minutes to issue a permit but it may get longer during rush. Somehow, I was extremely lucky to get it in 10 minutes. Location of Leh DC Office here.
Although, if you feel hassle about the entire procedure, just visit any cyber cafe in Leh and they will apply for your permits for some nominal charges between INR 50 to 200, depends on numbers of permits.
Foreigners permit has to get the permit through a tour agency. So, there is no point in filling the online version as the tour agency can do with ease. You can apply for all the routes in case of doubts.
Being a remote place, visiting Ladakh needs lots of preparation to be it mentally, physically. Do check out below links to make this trip successful, I am sure you will never regret.
- How to prepare for Ladakh
- Things to Carry in Ladakh
- Medicines needed in Ladakh
- Mobile Network Connectivity in Ladakh
- Complete Guide for your Ladakh Trip
This posts are for both riders and non-riders, hope these make your trip successful and memorable, get Leh’d soon.
Certainly, if you are doing a road trip to Ladakh, you may find my Kolkata – Ladakh – Kolkata on a Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350 journey helpful. Below is the Composite link of all the posts.
How was the guide, is it complete? Do share your thoughts in the comment box. Also, please share, if you find this content helpful. Thank You! 😃😃😃
Click to follow our Social Media Handles to get the latest updates
Although, we are in a process to queue up next post shortly until then do subscribe to Rider Escaped Newsletter to get future updates.
If you loved the content, share this with your buddies. Importantly, if I missed out anything do let me know in the comment section, I will include in the post.