How to get Leh Ladakh Inner Line Permit
Nowadays, the processes to get a Leh Ladakh Inner Line Permit became very easy, now you can go online and fill-up the form. We will be detailing the procedure in a bit before that let’s discuss routes or places that require an ILP (Inner Line Permit).
We have discussed stays, foods, and sightseeing in Ladakh Trip Complete Guide before, the only thing left in this context was the inner line permit for restricted areas. This Leh Ladakh Inner Line permit is mandatory for anyone who is visiting restricted places in the Ladakh region except a resident of J&K and children below 12 years.
Ladakh Inner Line Permit Restricted Areas
- Nubra Region – Khardung La, Diskit, Nubra Valley, and Turtuk are few famous points in this route but also you will be getting a permit for till Tyakshi on Turtuk side and Warsi – Yarma on Panamik side.
- Pangong Region – Karu, Chang La, Durbuk, Tangtse, Lukung, Spangmik, Chushul till Man Merak
- Tso Moriri Region – Upshi, Debring, Tso Kar, Tso Moriri
- Hanle Region – Upshi, Chumathang, Mahe, Loma, and Hanle. You need to mention Hanle while the permit is getting issued.
- Dha & Hanu – Khalsi, Skurbuchan, Hanu, Baima, and Dha.
Ladakh Inner Line Permit Procedure
1. J&K government officially announced its online portal quite a long ago, to apply Leh Ladakh Inner Line Permit click here.
2. Once you open the portal, you will need to click on the “Issue” button then select either Overseas Clients (Foreign Nationals) or Domestic Clients (India Nationals). There are three more options and the functionality mentioned below in the screenshot.
3. On this very page, you have to fill up exact details as per Voter Card or Aadhar Card or Driving License. In the case of foreign nationals, Passport no, Passport type, Visa no. and Visa type needs to be mentioned mandatorily. For a Domestic client, you have to choose Direct in Issue Permit section but foreigners have to mention a Tour Agency. Click Submit once Done.
4. On successful registration, it will pop up like below.
5. You will have two options now, either choose the Issue Group to permit or Issue Individual Permit. For the “issue Individual Permit” option, you have list other member’s name, ID, and Gender, followed by Submit as per the screenshot below.
6. Now you have to tick all the routes you are intended to visit, enter your stay duration, and finally, Apply for Permit. Once applied it will give you options to take a printout, also note the reference number so that you can get that printed later.
7. After you reach Leh, visit the DC office and submit one hard copy for each route. They will ask you to make payments, once done within an hour maximum you should get your permit in hand.
8. Lastly, you need to have 2-3 photocopies of each permit, so that you can submit it in checkpoints.
- Online Payment is not yet functional at the time of writing this article.
- Issuing of Permit can be suspended without prior notice in case of an emergency situation.
- Even you possess a valid Leh Ladakh Inner Line Permit, you may not be allowed for security reasons.
- Always confirm all the places you are intended to visit while the official person issuing your permit.
- All the above screenshot is taken from http://www.lahdclehpermit.in/.
- Dates mentioned in the permit cannot be altered so plan your itinerary carefully, in case you have to do so you can apply for the permit with alternate IDs although we have not verified this information.
- As of 2018, an offline permit application was not acceptable.
- If you are planning for Hanle, be careful, you have to get the Leh Ladakh Inner Line Permit manually stamped from the DC office, Leh.
Ladakh Inner Line Permit Charges
- Red Cross: INR 100 each person.
- Environmental fees: INR 300 each person.
- Permit/Wildlife fees: INR 20 each person per day.
Leh DC Office Timings
The DC office remains open from 10:00 AM to 05:00 PM, Monday to Saturday. They should accept permit applications before lunch-break. Generally, it took between 15 to 45 minutes to issue a permit but it may take longer during rush or peak season. Somehow, I was extremely lucky to get it in 10 minutes. Location of Leh DC Office here.
Although, if you feel this entire Inner Line Permit procedure is complex, just visit any cyber cafe in Leh and they will apply for your permits for some nominal charges between INR 50 to 200, depends on numbers of permits.
Foreigners permit has to get the permit through a tour agency. So, there is no point in filling the online version as the tour agency can do with ease. You can apply for all the routes in case of any doubts.
This posts are for both riders and non-riders, hope these make your trip successful and memorable, get Leh’ed soon.
Being a remote place, visiting Ladakh needs lots of preparation to be it mentally, physically. Do check out below links to make this trip successful, I am sure you will never regret.
How to fight AMS or High Altitude Sickness in Ladakh?
What is AMS or High Altitude Sickness? AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness) commonly referred to as High Altitude Sickness, can be evident in higher mountains (9000+...
Most Comprehensive Leh Ladakh Trip Guide
Ladakh is considered as one of the most beautiful cold deserts in the world. Beautiful lakes, the highest motorable passes, and picture-perfect landscape made this...
Which Mobile Network is best in Ladakh?
Disclaimer: This post “Which Mobile Network is best in Ladakh?” post is completely unbiased and based on my personal experience. I had Vodafone and Airtel...
If you are doing a road trip to Ladakh, you may find my Kolkata – Ladakh – Kolkata on a Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350 journey helpful, here.
Although, we are in a process to queue up the next post shortly. Till then subscribe to Rider Escaped Newsletter and connect with us on Social platforms to get future updates quicker.
Don’t forget to check out our Ladakh Ride Blog.
Certainly, if you loved the content, share this with your buddies. Also, if I missed out on anything do let me know in the comment section. I will include it in the post.
Thanks! Have a great day ahead.